Monday, August 19, 2013

Crown Brush UK - 10 Colour Concealer Palette | Review


I was very will I? or won't I? about this product so I held off, that was until a lovely reader requested it (you know who you are). So that was the end of it, out came the card and the order was made within minutes. I got a email the following morning to say it had been shipped. A speedy service like this isn't easy to come by and for me, it is like a gift from God as I am SO impatient! Since I announced that I had ordered it, it has got to be one of the most sought after reviews and I'm sorry its taken so long. But, ultimately I'm not going to review something before I've really put it to the test!

 So I have played with it throughout the last week. A lot of trial and error but at the end of the day I wanted the illusion of bone structure I unfortunately was not blessed with (feel free to insert a sympathetic "awww.." here).  There was a lot of brush washing involved (you will need more than one brush for this) and of course a few "selfies" for good measure. I have found a method of application that suits me and I can see a difference myself, even my dad noticed a difference!!



I have tried two different methods of applying this. You can either apply it before or after your foundation. I personally found that applying it before my foundation made it easier to work into the skin, you could also afford to go a little darker with your contour for a more dramatic, chiseled look. The concealer itself is quite heavy and as someone prone to getting a few spots, I did fear  that I would breakout, to myself surprise and delight I did not! 
Because it is quite dramatic, I would not recommend it for a day-time makeup unless of course it is the look you're looking to achieve.

The one and only qualm I have is with lighter shades in the palette. I am what my mother likes to refer to as "lily white". You really cannot get much paler than my natural skin colour. It is recommended when contouring that you use a colour two shades darker than your foundation and again two shades lighter for highlighting. This did pose a problem as the lightest colour in the palette is almost identical to the colour I use as a concealer for covering up redness and dark circles etc. and as a result it did not give me the effect I was hoping for... Unfortunately! 
However, all was not lost. All I needed to do was apply a pearlescent highlighter ('Moon beam' by Benefit is what I used) on top to achieve the desired look. The lighter concealers will not be wasted either as I will use them to camouflage in the future.


The palette is available directly from CrownBrushUk here. It is priced at £16.99 plus P&P. In total I paid €27.23 for palette and very speedy delivery. For this price, you really cannot go wrong. You will notice a difference immediately. Would I buy it again? Yes! I mean you get 10  high quality full coverage concealers. You'd pay the same, if not more for one high-end concealer. I also think the palette would be brilliant for a makeup artists kit as you have pretty much every concealer colour you will ever need in one neat little palette. 


Here is a beginners guide to highlighting/contouring depending on your face shape. All you need to remember is that you are contouring the places where you want to create shadow and stream line (under your cheekbones and along your jaw) and you are highlighting the places you want the light to hit ( your cheekbones, cupids bow and down the centre of your nose).

Happy Contouring! x


No comments:

Blogger Template by pipdig